Thursday, August 21, 2008

Craziness

So we are still alive, even after the 19 hour trip to Flagstaff!! We had a lot of problems with the moving van on the way here. It didn't quite like the steep hills while being fully loaded and towing a car. We had to stop over 6 times to let it cool down. It was a good excuse for me to get out and stretch, but at the end of the day (2:30 am) when we arrived in Flagstaff, my feet were more swollen than I have ever had. We had tried to get a motel in Page, but after calling every listed motel in the phone book, there was no vacancy anywhere and decided to trek on to Flag. I convinced Kev that I didn't want to get to our house and have no where to sleep, so we got a motel in Flagstaff and got a good 5 hours of sleep before heading out to Bellemont where our townhouse is. I was so relieved my mom traveled with us! I drove most of the day, but she had to take over at night because I just couldn't keep my eyes opened. We was also a huge help with unloading the van. We had called the Elder's Quorm pres and he said that 4-5 guys were going to show up to help, but no one did until a lot later on and then there was only two of them. But I can't complain because they were awsome and SO careful with everything.

I love my new house though. It is so nice and SO big! And the kitchen is very nice as well, with a huge pantry with I must say makes a huge difference. In Rexburg, I would have to go to every room in the house to find all the ingredients I needed for a meal, but now it is all in one place. I have actually cooked everyday since we have been here and even better...it has all turned out good. Kevin was saying that I may not be such a bad cook after all. I think that the dishwasher helps a lot as well because it is not a big deal to get 2-3 more dishes dirty per meal. I actually enjoy spending time in the kitchen now. Even though I will probably get into my old ways and when this isn't such a new thing, I will go back to hating cooking and doing dishes. I hope to make it last!

I have go to say that Flagstaff is one of the most confusing towns to navigate in!!! First thing my mom said was "You can tell Brigham Young didn't design this town!" Because it is a national forest, everything is built around the trees and environment. There are some parts of town that you have to take a detour around a block or so to get to another road, and of course, we didn't learn that until we had passed the road and were heading out on the freeway (that had previously been a busy main street and then divided and became a freeway!) We have spent a lot of time backtracking and learning a lot about the roads. It doesn't help either that my sense of direction is completely gone in this town as well. Kevin just laughs at me when I am positive we should be turning right, but of course he is right and I am just turned around once again. We finally gave in and bought a TomTom (gps device) And just got it today, so we will see if it helps us out tomorrow. We borrowed Kevin's mom's for the trip down and it saved us that first night when we were trying to get to the motel and we fell in love with it.

I have decided that I am definitely not in Idaho anymore though. We were sitting in the parking lot of Jack in the Box and I was on the phone trying to get an appointment to tour the hospital, and suddenly this drunk Hispanic is knocking on Kev's door. I was freaking out and trying to talk with this nurse at the same time. She probably thought I was an idiot, but I didn't know if this guy was mad or going to pull a gun or what. The Guy finally let Kev out of the car and it ended up he was just begging for money. He was VERY drunk and there is a greyhound station across the road and I guess he had come from somewhere else and had no money to now get out of Flag. By the time I got off the phone, I was still freaking out and Kevin, of course very calm, just told the guy to leave and that we don't carry cash and couldn't help him out. I couldn't believe how calm Kev stayed, but he said he had that kind of thing happen a lot in Cali on his mission. The guy was so drunk though that nothing he said made sense. It is sad, but scary at the same time. If he would have knocked on my window, I probably would have peed my pants! I don't think I will go around that part of town by the bus station alone much from now on though. While we were eating another indian came in begging for money as well. The saddest thing about him is that you know he is recieving a lot of money from the Gov, but of course he was very drunk and you can only suppose he spends all his lute on alcohol.

We are still trying to get moved in and I am getting to the point where I don't have much energy and I have to admit there are more boxes still full than there are empty. I am hoping to tackle it this weekend before I loose Kevin to school this next week. I don't know what I am going to do with myself. He is going to be gone everyday from before 8 until about 5:30 or so, except on Fridays. It will be a change, but I guess I better get used to it because that is how it is going to be for a least 2 yrs. We really do love it here and it is so beautiful. The view out of every window in our house is just amazing. I have taken a few pictures, but my camera is upstairs and I just can't come up with the energy at this time of night to make an extra trip up there. I will try to post them in the next couple of days.

I can't believe how much this little girl inside of me is moving. The other night, everytime she moved, I almost ended up in tears because I was so sore from here moving all day long! Sometimes I wish that I was bigger so that she wouldn't be up under my ribs as much, it hurts to breath because the ribs are so tender form her kicking. I just keep telling myself that I would probably complain if I were a lot bigger though as well. My doctor seems pretty good here, and it made me feel a lot better when I talked with my relief society president and she is a nurse in Labor and Delivery and would recommend him any day.

Well this is a very long update of our lives here in Arizona... I promise once this baby comes, my blog will be more interesting and actually have pictures to spice it up!

6 comments:

Laura said...

Way to go for updating! Sue says it's a freakin' book!!!! We miss you already. I cannot wait for pictures!

Kaylene said...

Yay! Glad to hear things are going well, and sorry that you're not feeling great, promise every little kick is worth it when she's in your arms, but they're little compared to what you'll go through in coming years... Kids are fun, but hard!

sue said...

i think you need to get some pepper spray. if all these men are as drunk as you are saying then they wont even remember the super prego girl blinding them with wicked awesome spray that every girl in the city should own :)

The Hokanson's said...

Hey your life sounds exciting right now! Ryan called and said you are in his sister-in-laws ward, kind of crazy that you would be in the same since it is a pretty big place! I want you to post some pictures of your cute little belly!

Nicole said...

Denise, welcome to Tree Hugger Country!! Haha! We sure do miss you guys and I'm so happy that you love your new house! I can't wait to see it! I wish I could be there to help you, and I also wish you could have gone to Yellowstone with us!! I thought about you guys as we passed the turn off to Kelly Warm Springs. Hang in there and get some rest. You deserve it! You are a trooper. Love ya. Tell Kevin good luck with school. We'll keep you guys in our prayers.

Mrs. Rogue said...

Denise, I have been waiting to see a belly picture for months now! You should get on that, you don't have much time left!