Monday, February 4, 2008

Snow and Sickness

So I decided to update you all with my life, even though most of you who read this are family and already know these things. First of all, Kevin has an interview at UNLV on Feb 22 and we are way excited about that. I get to take a few days off of work and go enjoy some warmer weather. YEAH!! And Kevin and I will be spending time together that isn't interupted with school or work and that doesn't happen often. Before we go down, we are going to have to go suit shopping because Kevin has grown more broad since his mission and his suits all have the stretch lines between the shoulder blades and the arms only go to his high wrists. I don't know when we will have time to do this shopping, but hopefully we can get it done before we head down. We are way excited though for this interview and are still waiting to hear back from the other schools, they said during feb to expect to hear whether or not we got an interview. It will be so exciting to start this new chapter in our life and get out of Rexburg...this cold is killing me.


Speaking of cold, it has finally warmed up a little where we are getting quite a bit of know. A few weeks ago, there were 3 days in a row that our Contour wouldn't start because it was so cold!Yikes! Luckily it warmed up before I headed back to work and we had two reliable cars again. We got over 6 inches of snow Sunday and I gave myself a huge workout shoveling it this morning while Kevin was at work. I then got carried away and started to chip the 2 inch thick ice off our driveway and 2.5 hrs later, my arms were so tired, I couldn't hit the shovel to the ice any more. Well genius Kevin...after he got home, got the maul and that seemed to work a lot easier and faster than just the metal edged shovel that I bent. I was so tired that I just laughed and was very greatful for a smart husband. As you can see in the piture...our driveway is now cement again! It was such a beautiful day today, while I was shoveling, I could only wear a fleece jacket and I still was quite warm. My arms and back are starting to get stiff though and I think tomorrow I will pay for it. I can't believe how much snow we have gotten. Thank heavens there wasn't wind combined with this last storm. 6 inches everywhere is a lot easier to shovel than 2 foot drifts in some spots. Here is a piture of our huge snow pile that I had the pleasure of throwing the snow onto today. One of my neighbors has grown up here in Rexburg and say the last time she remembers this much snow on the ground was when she was like 6 yrs old. it is crazy, but well needed and we are very grateful...and the park's new managers are are wonderful about getting the snow removed from the roads before is melts and then freezes into solid ice. It is wonderful to have safe roads.

This little beautiful orange trailer is completely full of snow and probably is half ice where we have had a lot of snow/rain storms. I know it adds a lot to our trailer with it sitting out front! We just haven't been back to Star Valley since we used to to haul Lynne's "old" couch down here since she got new ones. We are very lucky to get hand-me-downs.

One top of the cold, I have had a cold for over 3 weeks now. Every night I go to bed feeling pretty good and hardley coughing, but then I wake up all congested and sore throat and coughing again. I don't know what is up with it. I keep saying I should see a doctor, but haven't made it around to that one yet. I had this when my whole family was here for the temple open house, and luckily didn't pass it on. And even luckier, Kevin only had a sore throat and congestion for a few days and skipped the cough which is a miracle where his back doesn't handle coughs to well. Hopefully I can sort this all out and get feeling up to par again...It is never fun to constantly be wearing masks at work. It makes patients feel better that I am not coughing on them, but I really don't enjoy coughing into my own face. I guess it comes with the job and because we need a paycheck and the hospital has been crazy busy with car accidents and a lot of people slipping on the ice and breaking bones, I haven't been able to take sick days. I do love my job, but I am excited to move and work days and in a different department that isn't so crazy fast paced. The other night I didn't even have a chance to make a bathroom run until 4:00 in the morning and I have been there since 7:00 that night. It was crazy! I did have to take one break to guzzle some orange juice because I was about passing out, probably from the metformin and not eating!

So I did end up taking my friend to the temple and it was pretty cool. I was of course coughing a lot, but the spirit was strong and I found out she and her husband have been having the missionaries visit them. We didn't get to talk about it long though because a sister missionary, who I know was just trying to answer questions and be helpful, interrupted us. She didn't realize this couple was not LDS and was talking to them about their marriage like it was in the temple. They kind of shut down and quit asking questions after that. I haven't had much time at work lately to talk with her more about it, but maybe a chance will come up hopefully. I hope some kind of seed was planted by the spirit that was so strong in the temple.

I have been amazed by the spirit that has been so strong with all of the decisions with the church lately. At first I was bummed about the dedication being post poned because I have this weekend off and I work this next weekend, but I figure I will somehow find a way to stay awake and go to the dedication. It is still crazy that President Hinckley has passed on, but there was such a calm feeling that spread throughout me when I first heard the news. All I could think about was how happy he had to be at that moment and what an amazing example he has left for each one of us. I also thought about the many people that have passed on and how lucky they are to be with him at this time. It made me realize this life really isn't that long and in soon enough time, we will all be able to be together again. This makes me want to live my life better and ensure that I will be able to return and meet all the amazing people that have passed on before me.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Yay for updates!! And geezers, you guys do have a lot of snow.

I can understand shoveling lots of snow...Sunday morning I thought that I would help Mike out by shoveling our 7+ inches off the driveway (more in drifts), but alas, 22 week pregnant girls should NOT shovel that much snow. I have never hurt like this before. The rest of Sunday and most of Monday, I couldn't even get out of the chair. My stomach hurt so deep inside. It was not a good feeling.

It is probably a good thing our church was canceled, I would have been hurting for the entire 3 hour block!

kristin said...

great update! You guys definitely win for the most snow. I hope your sicks go away quick - what a pain!

Love yoU!

sue said...

so i have to say ummmm dearie your snow pile is not that big. haha ours is about two times that big but its ok i understand you never come home to get to see the wonderful (not) snow i get to enjoy ;) love you!