Thursday, October 2, 2008

IT'S ABOUT TIME-

October 1, 2008, 9:31 PM. 7 lbs 10 oz, 21 1/2 inches. Here are some pictures of our beautiful baby...she looks bald, but she really does have hair in back. Life could never be better than the moment she was laid in my arms. It was AMAZING. The next most amazing thing was the look on Kevin's face as he held his baby girl for the first time. Two moments I will cherish forever.






This is just a few hours after she was born...she would not close
her mouth while sleeping. It was so cute!



These were all taken this morning. She definitely is an Allred! She has Kev's cheeks, nose, and chin for sure. She is quiet a chunk though. The double chin and baby fat rolls on her thighs are so cute. She is so pink as well. I love the little angel's kiss on her forehead as well...okay I love EVERYTHING about her.

As for the labor and delivery, I was induced about 8:30 on Wed morning with my first dose of Prostaglandin gel inserted into my cervix. I started at 1.5 cm and 80% according to my nurse. After 1 hr of lying almost flat and then another hr of walking in the halls, we injected another dose. The contractions started pretty good during this hour and the hour of walking turned more into 30 minutes of walking 15-20 feet and then trying to find a place to sit so I could breathe through the contraction better. After the third does, my back labor was excrutiating and I was begging for an epidural. My amazing nurse finally talked me into getting in the bath and trying to relax and then she would get the anesthesiologist for me. Well, I was dilated to a four right before getting into the tub and I was amazed how much I could relax (okay not really relax, but I was able to remember to breathe a whole lot better and get through each contraction without crying.) After I got the heaven sent epidural and then within an hour or so was dilated to 7. This was about 4 PM and so we thought I would just keep progressing and have the baby in the next few hours. Well my water broke sometime soon after this and I was dilated to almost a 8 by sixish. Well at this time we found that I had a forebag (which is an extra little bag of amniotic fluid that gets trapped under the baby's head, or at least this is what I understood it to be.) my progression slowed until my next nurse at about 8 came in and broke the bag. then the words I was not ready for "Wow, that is a lot of meconium" I was not prepared and kind of freaked, but my nurse reassured me that new studies show that this isn't as horrible as it has been thought for years. She explained my doctor would suction her mouth and nose before I pushed the rest of her body out so she would not swallow and/or inhale it. Things started progressing once again as did the pain, yes even with the epidural. because her head was progressing down I guess she was blocking nerves from getting the medication. I was getting excrutiating pain again, but now right over the ball of my right hip. We decided to just start pushing and try to get her out because the pain was so bad. Well, after pushing through 3 contractions and then being told to stop because she was coming and my doctor was not there, I was very surprised. He luckily was coming in to deliver a placenta of a women who had her baby on the way to the hospital. He walked straight into my room, gowned and gloved and with the next two pushes, our beautiful baby arrived. Her belly had to be suctioned a little to get some junk out and she was coughing up a lot of junk from her lungs as well, but in a few minutes was fine.

Sorry if you didn't want all the details, but I am so sleep deprived that I couldn't think to shorten it and the complete story piled out. But life is good and now we will have pictures to post to make our blog more enjoyable.



15 comments:

Laura said...

CONGRATS!! She is such a gorgeous baby. We love you and hope that you can get some sleep!

Laura said...

I forgot to ask, does she have big eyes? They look really big when they are closed.

Mrs. Rogue said...

Yay Denise!! I have been anxiously waiting for some news. She is beautiful. Sorry you had to deal with so much pain even with an epi. : ( But I'm sure it's very worth it to you. Good luck with everything these next few days. Call me whenever. Love you!

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!! She is finally here! She is so cute! That sucks you had so much pain still with an epi. :( At least she is her; I can't wait to see more pictures of her! :) Congrats!! :D

Natayle Brown said...

Denise your baby girl is so adorable, I just want to hold her. P.S. I hope you don't mind that I peeked at your blog! Kinda funny that we are both supporting our husbands through physical therapy school, on opposite sides of the world!?!?

Unknown said...

beautiful beautiful baby! she actually reminds me so much of how Lydia looked when she was born. :)

i love the pic of her holding your (kevin's?) finger. So precious!

Nicole said...

OH MY GOSH!!!! I want to cry!! She is so beautiful and perfect. I love her. What a little angel. I'm so glad that things went well and that you are both doing ok and healthy. YAY for Denise and Kevin! Finally, your little girl is here!

Laura said...

Kristin, I thought the same thing as you when I first saw the pictures. I think especially in the third one. And tonight Mike was looking and he said, "Wow, she looks a lot like Lydia!" So she really must in a few of the shots!!!

Denise, I just coming back to look at her again. I love her so much already and I haven't even met her. We love you. Callie says she is cute!!!

Mr and Mrs Merrill... said...

YAY! im so excited for you!!!

The Hokanson's said...

Congrats Denise! I am happy you finally got that little girl here! Do you have a name for her? Good luck with everything! Love ya!

Kacey said...

hey congrats!!! she is soo cute!! im glad she is finally here!!

Our Family said...

She really is beautiful Denise! Sounds like you had an adventure getting her here, but I'm so happy you did it! You will be an awesome Mom, and I'm excited for you! Tell Kev congrats too!

Unknown said...

she is so cute hope all is well keep the pics coming please

M&M Malouf Family said...

OH, She is beautiful. Congrats! We love you.

Kaylene said...

Congratulations! She's beautiful!!!